Scarlet Witch bending reality to her will
The ability to change reality into how the person in question sees fit while screwing the rules of science. Basically, if it ain't possible through science (broad definition involving theoretical shit like FTL speed, multiple dimensions, etc.), then it's reality warping. Users can alter any item already considered real. Anything decision made in the past, any item ever created, any movement, choice, color, atom, or molecule that exists can be changed. All of existence bends to the imagination of a reality warper. Users can rewrite the laws of physics and then change them back in an instant, universes can bend to the will of a reality warper.
- Alter time
- Alter the elements
- Change probability
- Speak items, decisions, or events into reality
- Create new items or imagined items
- Give themselves or others new powers
- To wish hard enough that changes target decisions
- Changing a map rewrites the landscape
- Users may automatically return another powers changes like illusion or spatial manipulation to the original
- Cause paradoxes
- Randomize the universe
- Rewrite physics
- Users write themselves into history, giving them Immortality
- Users change where the universe around them sits putting them anywhere instantly, similar to teleportation
- Reverse constants, like falling equals going up or doctor means warrior
- Resurrect the dead
- Erase things from existence
Examples of Reality Warping:
- Creation of matter out of nowhere
There are several forms of reality warping. However, one must keep in mind that reality is defined by how we or the characters perceive its surroundings. Think, the movie The Matrix and how Neo had to cope with the reality inside/outside of the Matrix. I think a solid definition of a reality manipulation, is when a set of fundamental laws are changed to meet ones desire.
Jamie Braddock or Jenny Quantum. They manipulate quantum physics. In Jamie’s case, he manipulates the quantum strings, which make up the fabric of reality. You also have define limits to reality warp. Some can only manipulate reality like Mad Jim Jaspers, altering reality beyond a single universe. Yet when he is taken to un-space there is no material for him to mold. Others like Jenny Quantum or Franklin Richards can not only manipulate but create. Franklin Richards created a pocket universe, while Jenny created a dimension with all previous incarnations of herself placed inside to help her cope with problems and seek assistance. Both did so at a very young age, and with no help.
You have other means to alter reality, such as magic. Magic at times can completely defy the laws of causality. Look at Odin from Marvel Comics, and his ability to create small planets and such through magic. Also many Disney characters can do this too.
You can come across forms of “Phenomenal Altering System“, “Event Adjustment“, or matter manipulation. High end energy manipulators, can pretty much do similar things to what magicians and quantum manipulators do. The difference is their characters are set in a more scientific approach, making their definition as a reality warper, a more loose one.
Energy manipulators must abide to the laws of the universe. Bending or outright breaking such law will meet dire consequences. The Guardians of the Universe or “Phoenix/Jean” fit this criteria.
This is the power wielded by entities of a higher plane. Some times their powers are not given a name, yet can shape the world we live in with an after thought. Think The Chousin or Cosmic Cube Beings.
Examples of characters who can reality warp:
- Many characters from DC/Vertigo Comics
- Many characters from Marvel Comics
- Many characters and technologies from Doctor Who
- Many characters from Tenchi Muyo!
- Many Pokemon, mostly Psychic and legendaries have low level reality warping
- Psykers, Daemons, Sorcerers and most other magical beings from Warhammer 40,000
- Several characters such as Illyria, Willow, and Anya from Buffy the Vampire Slayer