Name: Edward Newgate, epithets "Whitebeard", "Strongest Man in the World", "Man closest to One Piece"
Origin: One Piece
Classification: Human, Former member of the Rocks Pirates, Captain of the Whitebeard Pirates, Former Yonkou, Paramecia Devil Fruit User
Age: 72 at time of death
Powers and Abilities: Super strength, speed, durability, endurance, agility, stamina, dexterity, skilled with he naginata, premium Haki user (Kenbunshoku Haki, Busōshoku Haki and Haōshoku Haki), battle - precognition (via Haki), can surround his body with an invisible armor to augment his defensive and offensive capabilities (he can also imbue physical objects, such as his Murakumogiri with Busōshoku Haki), can harm and affect characters with elemental mimicry, can dominate the will of others (Haoshoku Haki allows him to knock those with inadequate wills unconscious), very high resistance to heat (were unperturbed by the ambient heat of Akainu's elemental body, which is sufficient to swiftly evaporate steel, while battling him for an extended period of time in close-quarter, also withstood a direct magma attack to the abdomen from him), outstanding willpower (unmoved by physical pain, able to push through his grievous injuries and continue battle), ate the Gura Gura no Mi, a Paramecia type Devil Fruit which allows him to generate powerful shock waves by emitting vibrations (can use airquakes through cracking the air and sending shockwaves through the air as a result, seaquakes through sending quakes to the seabed and concentrated quakes by focusing all his power on a single point all to his advantage, using his abilities he can also tilt whole land masses without breaking a sweat), powerful breath (was able to blow out the "flames" on a magma rock fired from Akainu with his very own breath casually), skilled use of his Murakumogiri (Whitebeard is able to imbue his Murakumogiri with both Busōshoku Haki and his Gura Gura no Mi either to increase its defense capabilities as shown when he engaged in close combat with Akainu and was able to prevent Akainu from melting/evaporating his bisento, and concerning his Devil Fruit, when he used the Murakumogiri to sweep hundreds of soldiers away with singular sweeps)
Weaknesses: Cannot swim and becomes immobilized if more than half of his body is covered in water
Destructive Capacity: Multi-continent level+ (the effects of his power can shake islands thousands of kilometers away, also generated two humongous tsunamis with his quakes and then shattered them later after Aokiji had frozen them, he was capable of tilting the Marineford and the area around it with his power), potentially higher in his prime (his hype suggests he has the power to destroy the world even in his old state)
Range: Extended human melee with his Murakumogiri (a couple of meters), at least several kilometers with air quakes (can also indirectly generate effects much further than that, at the very least hundreds of kilometers away)
Speed: Relativistic (able to intercept Kizaru in the middle of executing his light-movement, and naturally matched the Marine Admirals in close-quarter-combat) with light-speed reactions, his pre-cog also further complements his reactions
Durability: Multi-continent level+ (withstood an all-out attack from Akainu to the abdomen while in an extremely vulnerable position, unable to guard himself as he was suffering a heart attack)
Lifting Strength: Class T (Garp has strength in the billions of tons, so naturally so would Whitebeard)
Striking Strength: Class NJ (matched Akainu blow for blow and stopped Moby Dick with one hand while heavily injured)
Stamina: Vastly superhuman+ (could continue fighting despite the numerous wounds he acquired during the Marineford battle which included two holes punched into his abdomen and magma pumped into his body by Akainu, he even soldiered on after having half his head taken by him as well, weaker characters such as Akainu and Aokiji could fight each other for 10 days straight, also battled the Roger Pirates for 3 days and 3 nights back in his heyday)
Standard Equipment: Murakumogiri (his naginata which is one of the 21 Saijo O Wazamono [supreme quality grade sword])
Intelligence: Whitebeard is the pirate closest to obtaining the "One Piece" treasure in the entire world, and along with a couple of decades worth of experience, is the single most-dangerous pirate in the OP-verse. Has sufficient leadership qualities to oversee a last-minute invasion of Marineford, an incredibly skilled military strategist, and is a match for Sengoku the Buddha. His tactical prowess was demonstrated when he scattered the pirates so that they wouldn't be routed by Pacifista, or when he bypassed the siege wall and mastered his Gura Gura no Mi
- Haki: There are normally two types of Haki regular people can tap into: the Kenbunshoku Haki which allows individuals to sense the presence of others, and Busōshoku Haki which allows individuals to create an invisible armor around them. There is, however, a third type of Haki, Haōshoku Haki, that only a few individuals can use. Whitebeard is one of these people.
- Haōshoku Haki (Color of the Conquering King): The ability to knock out someone else or a large group. While inexperienced users are restricted to intimidating one being or blindly knocking out any with weak wills around them, those with more expertise can pick out weak-willed individuals in a large group to knock out.
- Busōshoku Haki (Color of Armaments): A form of Haki that allows the user to create an "invisible armor" around themselves. With that, they can protect themselves from attacks, and if trained well, use it to deliver stronger attacks. Besides the increase of strength, it is the only form of attack that doesn't involve Kairouseki that can hit any Devil Fruit user, being able to hit the user's original body even if it's a Logia user. It can also be used in weapons.
- Kenbunshoku Haki (Color of Observation or Mantra): A form of Haki that allows the user to sense the presence of his opponents. A user of this type of Haki can predict an opponent's moves before he gets hit. This works by showing the user an image or brief "premonition" of what the opponent will do, manifested as a mental image in the user's mind's eye, and the damage the user will take if the attack "hit" for real. It appears that the more killer intent the enemy has the easier they are to predict, though more efficient users can predict future moves regardless of whether there are ambient murderous intents or not. Including the distance, location, and where the opponent may strike next.
- Gura Gura no Mi (Tremor-Tremor Fruit): A Paramecia-type Devil Fruit that turns the user into a Quake Human, allowing the user to create vibrations (or "quakes"). This fruit's major strength is that it allows the user to generate massive vibrations, or shock waves, which can travel through virtually any medium, including the ground, the seafloor, or even in the air.
- Kaishin (Seaquake): Whitebeard "cracks" the air with a punch and sends devastating shock waves through the air in the direction it is facing. These shock waves can pass through and damage almost any substance, tearing it apart. If the shockwaves are directed into the ground, the result is a devastating earthquake capable of generating huge tsunamis. Because of its enormous offensive power and great speed, this attack makes for a solid defense, destroying or disrupting any attack before it hits Whitebeard.
- Gekishin (Severe Earthquake): A close-range variant of Kaishin. Whitebeard directly cracks the air in front of an enemy, causing severe damage as the shockwaves directly pass through their bodies, as John Giant and Akainu both suffered. Whitebeard could also passively summon vibrations around himself, which protected him from being frozen by Aokiji due to vibrations not being freezable.
- Shingen no Ichigeki (Hypercenter Attack): Whitebeard focuses vibrations around his fist in a spherical bubble to form an earthquake hypocenter and delivers a punch releasing all the force concentrated at once, with enormous power.
- Kabutowari (Helm Splitter): A variant of Shingen no Ichigeki. Instead of delivering a punch, Whitebeard grabs his opponent's head and concentrates his vibrations around it, resulting in crushing damage.
- Shima Yurashi (Island Shaking): Whitebeard "grabs" an entire area, by grabbing and pulling on the air around him as if it were tangible, and rapidly shifts it. Using this, he tilted the entire island of Marineford and the sea around it, destroying buildings and throwing a giant off of his feet in the process.
- Naginata Rasetsu (Mowing Blade Rakshasa): Whitebeard surrounds his naginata, the Murakumogiri, with a quake bubble to greatly increase its striking power and range.
Notable OBD Victories:
- Barragan Luisinbarn (Bleach) - Baraggan Profile
- Daemon Spade (Katekyo Hitman Reborn) - Daemon Profile
- Hanma Yujiro (Baki the Grappler) - Yujiro Profile
- Hashirama Senju (Naruto) - Hashirama Profile
- Priscilla (Claymore) - Priscilla Profile
- Sandaime Raikage, Mu, Fourth Kazekage (Naruto) - Sandaime Profile, Mu Profile, Fourth Kazekage Profile
- Sawada Tsuna (Katekyo Hitman Reborn) - Tsuna Profile
- Tarras Doberg (Witch Hunter) - Tarras Doberg Profile (he can solo the verse)
- Tobi (Naruto) - Tobi Profile
Notable OBD Losses:
- Skaar (Marvel Comics) - Skaar Profile (this battle involved all of the Whitebeard Pirates)
- Raizen (Yu Yu Hakusho) - Raizen Profile (outdated, Whitebeard wins now)
- Yhwach (Bleach) - Yhwach Profile
- Four Heavenly Kings (Toriko) - Coco Profile, Sani Profile, Toriko Profile, and Zebra Profile (outdated, Whitebeard currently loses to anyone of them)
Other: The discrepancy between his name and appearance is apparently due to the fact that the Japanese language only has one word for facial hair.
|Whitebeard in his prime